The Indian travel and tourism industry is set to witness a huge surge as the Union government of India announced the launch of the much awaited online visa or e-visa facility for 43 countries. The e-visa facility for inbound travelers to India includes the citizens of US, Australia, Japan, Israel, Germany, Singapore to name a few. Therefore, global travelers can apply for a visa from the comfort of their homes and avail the same within a span of 72 hours.
The electronic travel authorization (ETA) availed through this procedure will be valid for a month and the process will charge a fixed rate of $62. Travelers seeking to travel for leisure, short medical tour, casual business visit or visiting family and friends will be eligible to apply for the e-visa. The airports that will exercise the use of this facility are Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Kochi, Goa, Hyderbad, Kolkata and Thiruvanathapuram.
The other countries that can avail e-visa facility are Russia, Ukraine, Brazil, UAE, Jordan, Kenya, Fiji, Finland, South Korea, Singapore, Mauritius, Mexico, Norway, Oman and the Philippines. According to the Home Minister, Mr. Rajnath Singh, the list will grow in due time and as tourism is a major driver for economic growth in the country, this will genuinely increase the contribution of tourism in the India’s annual GDP.
Some of the salient features of India’s e-visa policy:
- Eligible foreigners may apply for the e-visa online
- The e-visa can be availed for a term of 30 days
- Once approved, the applicant will receive an e-mail authorizing him to travel to India
- A print out of this email is all that the traveler needs to carry to visit India
- Applicants may apply online minimum 4 days in advance
- Facility cannot be availed more than twice a year
- Nine airports to have the facility
- TVoA enabled with ETA latest in a series of measured introduced by the new government